The steel sheet pile press-fit method offers the advantages listed below over the other methods.
1) Simplified work without the need for any large-scale equipment and facility for execution of work;
2) Rapid execution of work, contributing to considerably reduced construction period;
3) Selection of optimum cross section/length of steel sheet pile for different soil conditions contributing to reasonable and cost-effective planning;
4) Availability of lightweight walls, allowing advantageous earthquake- resistant design different from gravity-type structure.
5) Sheet pile with a capability of water drainage, prevent possible liquefaction caused by the earthquake in the vicinity of critical structure.
Recently developed construction machines allow pile installation even in sites where the driving method encounters difficulties in the upper section. This is done by adding shorter steel sheet piles in succession or in narrow roads or rivers where large scale machines fail to approach.
This article comes from semanticscholar edit released